Epic cuts cut in Unreal Engine asset store sales due to massive Fortnite success

Epic Games has done something you don’t see every day: give developers a bigger slice of UE4 asset sales, thanks to the mountain of cash it is making on Fortnite right now.

In an unexpected move, Epic Games announced that it is changing the 70% / 30% revenue split in place in the Unreal Engine Marketplace. Going forward, Asset Creators will earn 88%, leaving just 12% for Epic.

70% / 30% is the standard for the vast majority of digital stores including Steam, PSN, Xbox, iTunes, Google Play, etc. The reason for the increased developer cut has to do with Epic’s huge success with Fortnite.

Basically, the company is making so much money with Fortnite (over $ 300 million in May alone) that it gives back to the developers by passing on the love.

What’s even more impressive is that this won’t just apply to future sales, but to all transactions since the store launched in 2014, retroactively granting developers millions in revenue for the items they they sold years ago.

This change is not temporary, which is great news for future developers.

The Unreal Engine Marketplace is a big revenue generator for Epic, with over 5,000 products from over 1,500 creators. The store sells 3D models, animations, as well as other audio and visual assets.

Some of them end up being modified by game developers for use in their games, as seen most notably in PUBG and ARK: Survival Evolved.

“Thanks to both the growth of the marketplace and the success of Fortnite, Epic is now handling a huge volume of digital commerce,” said Tim Sweeney, Founder and CEO of Epic.

“The resulting economies of scale allow us to pass the savings on to the Unreal Engine Marketplace community, while making a healthy profit for Epic. “


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *