This is a store where you can buy assets for Unity such as 3D models, sounds / music, UI kits, shaders / particles, sprite kits, and tools. The Asset Store was created in 2010 and is now 10 years old! Almost all Unity projects have their strengths, as they make the development process more comfortable and faster. If you have a desire, idea, and experience with Unity, you can become a publisher and increase your passive income (almost).
- Idea for an active future. There are many sections in the Asset Store, so I recommend that you pick a topic first. There are few assets in the “Localization”, “Painting” and “Video” subcategories of the “Tools” section. You should also check if there are analogues of your future asset. If there are analogues, find out how to make your asset better and cooler;
- Publisher account;
- Over 10 hours of time to create, design and publish. Asset development can take a long time. It is important to understand if you have enough persistence and motivation to end the affair. Some assets took 2 days, but a I had been doing for six months and a few times I wanted to give up everything and do something else;
- It’s time to support and help customers.
So, you have chosen the theme and content of the asset, then you need to implement the idea.
There are a few things to keep in mind when creating an item:
- The product must be compiled on all platforms, have a functional demo scene with a demonstration of all features, as well as documentation;
- If your asset contains code, you should test it on multiple platforms, ideally not only in the Unity editor or using emulators, but also on real devices;
- The asset should be easy to use;
- The product must have at least good performance.
High quality documentation is the key to satisfied customers. When users’ questions are repeated, it is a sign that certain answers should be described in the documentation as simply and clearly as possible. If users aren’t writing to you with questions and giving you 5 stars in reviews, the documentation is great.
You need to create an item in the editor panel of the Asset Store:
In addition it is necessary:
- Select an asset class;
- Add description, tags, screenshots;
- If possible, create a WebGL demo of your product. Attach a demo link to your description so that potential users can try the product before purchasing it;
- If your asset contains features that work on specific platforms, this should be stated in the description. For example, if you are using Compute Shaders, you need to specify the requirements in the description, otherwise users can rate your asset with a star, which will negatively affect future sales;
- Create graphics for the asset page and demo version. If you have the time, skill, and taste, you can do it yourself. Experience shows that it is better to involve a 2D artist / designer. A well-designed asset sells better;
- Take screenshots;
- Record and edit the video. It could be a tutorial on how to work with your asset or a demonstration of its capabilities;
- Set a price for the asset. Remember Unity takes 30% of sales;
- Download the asset from the Unity editor using the Asset Store tools and submit it for review. As of April 1, 2020, the Asset Store requires Unity LTS version 2018.4 or later to be used to download new resources. I recommend using the oldest supported version of Unity to download resources, as this will increase the number of users who can purchase your product.
Previously it took around 12-18 business days to publish and review the asset, the final semester 3-5 days.
An asset can be rejected for several reasons, the most common of which are:
– Low quality;
– copyright infringement;
– Lack of documentation;
– Lack of demonstration scene.
If the asset is rejected, you can correct it based on the comments received, upload a new version, and submit the asset for review. A second review usually takes 1 to 2 business days.
Now the asset can be promoted and for basic promotion I use:
As promotional content, you can use the description of the asset and / or a demonstration of its functionality. In general, promotion is optional. Some of the assets that I haven’t posted anywhere, but people find them and buy them, apparently tags in the store and Youtube play a big role here.
If you posted a paid item, you need to support it.
- Respond to user questions. 90% of users write via email, some people use Connect Unit for communication, and some users write their questions directly below the video on Youtube, so I recommend turning on email notifications everywhere so you don’t miss a thing;
- Bug Fix – Users can find a bug and write to you. You will need to find out, fix the bug, and ask the user to check the fix, after releasing the update;
- Checking the asset on new releases of Unity – upon release of every major Unity release (2020.1, 2020.2, 2021.1, etc.), I recommend opening a project with your asset in the new Unity and you ensure that it compiles on all supported platforms and works correctly;
- Support existing functionality and add new functionality – this way you can attract more users and raise the price of your asset reasonably, which in the long run can increase your income;
The Asset Store offers to use Google Analytics. To do this, simply specify the tracking ID in the editor console. Thus, you will be able to understand – the geography of your customers, the page visits per day, the dynamics of the visits, etc. Practical and useful tool!
Positive reviews are important for users looking to buy an asset. Even if you got 1 star, don’t despair, politely contact the user and express your desire to help in this situation. Ask the user to report the problem in as much detail as possible and provide your contacts. Negative reviews should be dealt with and ignoring them is the worst option. In case the user writes to you and you can help them, they will likely edit the note.
The Asset Store supports 2 payment methods:
- PayPal – no minimum withdrawal amount, monthly payments;
- Wire Transfer (Wire Transfer) – minimum withdrawal amount is $ 250, payments quarterly (April 15, July, October and January). All payments are made commission-free, but the intermediary bank and the receiving bank can charge their commission.
- A large number of assets for all tastes and colors, which allows you to make products faster and more convenient;
- It is not necessary to promote the assets. Searching the Asset Store works fine, just specify the tags;
- Freedom of creation;
- Passive income.
- Assets in certain categories are sold “by place of work”: 1 asset for 1 computer. The Asset Store doesn’t control this and large companies can only buy one copy of your asset and use it on 100 computers (as happened with at least one of my assets);
- You can only withdraw funds by wire transfer once every 3 months;
- No hack protection – the downloaded asset is stored in an archive with the extension .unitypackage and can be downloaded to a hacked site by an unscrupulous user;
- The more an asset is purchased, the more the Asset Store will promote it (social media posts, sales, display on the store’s home page). It’s a kind of vicious circle in which the most popular assets become even more popular;
- The Asset Store allows you to generate only 12 coupons per year for all your assets.
After posting my first asset, the Asset Store made me $ 56 for the first month. And in six months, I have already received $ 316.8. I had no expectations for the Asset Store and I am quite happy with the result. Especially since it is passive income.
In 4 years I published 14 assets which bring me a good additional income. For the most part, this is my Pet project, which I work on in my free time from my main job and derive great pleasure from it.
The Asset Store is a great platform for Unity developers. There you can find the tool you need, as well as design, implement and publish your own.
If anyone is engaged in similar creativity, write, I will be grateful for your comments and comments!